[lbo-talk] Re: biz ethics/slavery/groups/constitutional

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Sep 3 17:56:43 PDT 2004

Chris Doss wrote:

>I'm just familiar with the ones here in Moscow (and by
>gypsy I do not mean ethnic Roma -- I mean a particular
>lifestyle). They live 20 to an apartment outside
>Moscow and get bussed in to beg by criminal gangs who
>take part of the loot. They sit on the streetcorner,
>covered in snow, with their kids, also covered in
>snow, who never cry and have a very glazed expression,
>because their parents have drugged them. A crying baby
>means less money from begging. I might add that the
>kids are kept illiterate. I do not like these people.
>They are parasites of the worst sort.

Stop, Chris, please. The gypsies are the n-words of Europe...always have been. I grew up across the street from a gypsy camp in the slums of Bucharest. And I grew up filled with bogey man stories about the Gypsies: "If you're not good, the gypsies will steal you and cut off your leg and use you for begging." Nobody had much to say about helping them out though.

I used to watch the Gypsy mothers go off to the factories every morning, with their toddlers asleep in their arms. The problem is not that they are parasites; Bill Gates is a parasite. Dick Cheney is a parasite. Dubya is a parasite. The problem is that they are impovrished parasites.Snce discrimination against them is nearly universal, it's not surprising that they wind up living in the shadows and cracks of every society.

I don't know whether they drug their children. I think if I were watching my kid freeze and be hungry, I might be tempted to give him a drug to make him less miserable. At any rate, that's what factory workers used to do with their kids in Victorian England....give them laudanum to stop them from crying from hunger.

Really, Chris!

Joanna

Women used to routines