[lbo-talk] Time Poll: Huge Bounce For Bush

srobin21 at comcast.net srobin21 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 4 11:45:59 PDT 2004

Kerry COULD have run an anti-war campaign that would have put Bush on the defensive, given that the war is rapidly becoming unpopular, which he hasn't. He COULD have made a bigger issue of Bush and Cheney's refusal to fight in the Vietnam War, than he did. He COULD have attempted to run a campaign by energising his base on the issues they feel to be important, just as Bush did. Instead, he has attempted to silence his base - as he did in the Boston Convention. Kerry is running a "me too" campaign of the same character that the Republicans ran before the time of Goldwater and such campaigns usually lost. How can you out flag wave the Republicans? Steve

Before the Swift Boat Veterans for Obfuscation campaign, independents who were aware of Kerry's service record overwhelmingly favored him over Bush. It was smart strategy on Kerry's to play up his service. What would you have done about the SBVT? -- Luke ----- Original Message ----- From: srobin21 at comcast.net To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 2:01 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Time Poll: Huge Bounce For Bush

Well, of course Bush got a 'bounce' after the GOP Convention. What is unusual is that Kerry got no 'bounce' out of the Democrat Convention. Further, the Bush team is much better at mobilizing public opinion than the Kerry New Democrats, who are extraordinarily inept at that. They have tried to out flag wave the Republicans and got hit by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. They have an issue on which Bush is vulnerable (the War in Iraq) and have effectively spurned it, They are (at best) mealy mouthed in their opposition and at worst, supportive of it. So why are the poll numbers surprizing? The Democrats, it appears, are in the midst of a Dukakis style melt down. Steve