[lbo-talk] happy happy happy all the time!

jeffrey fisher jfisher at igc.org
Sun Sep 5 19:36:42 PDT 2004

On Sunday, September 5, 2004, at 04:45 PM, Mike Ballard wrote:

> Come now...be happy in your work, j. We've got a big
> bridge to build for the Empire.

this reminds me of an old MST3K episode, "i accuse my parents". still one of my favorites, a tour de force shredding of a 40s movie about a teen whose father works all the time and whose mother is a party-girl lush. anyway, there's a musical set-piece where the hero's romantic interest performs a song at a club. the song is called, "are you happy in your work". it's as bad as it sounds. and it fits perfectly with the short that opens this episode, "the truck farmer", which is basically about how great it is to be a bracero worker, or, as the review linked below puts it, is "an incredibly naïve look at the reasons why people travel from underdeveloped nations to pick Capitalist America's three-bean salad."

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/mst3kaccuse.php