[lbo-talk] An Anti-Labor Day

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 7 12:13:37 PDT 2004

Nathan Newman wrote:

>I didn't bother to include the minimum wage,

As I recall, they didn't hold a single hearing on the topic throughout 1993 and 1994, when they controlled Congress and the White House.

> Americans with Disabilities
>Act,

Didn't Bob Dole push that, and 41 sign it?

>Folks seem to be demanding that Democrats prove their pro-labor credentials
>by wasting time on unwinnable bills, instead of concentrating on the
>legislation they can pass.

You don't just introduce bills you know will pass - you introduce bills to make a political point, and to nudge the discourse in your direction. Bob Barr proposed Clinton's impeachment in 1997, well before we'd ever heard of Ms Lewinsky. The Reps have been slicing away at abortion rights for years using such techniques.

Doug