[lbo-talk] An Anti-Labor Day

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Sep 7 12:39:02 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Redmond" <dredmond at efn.org>

> You want labor law reform? Elect 60 Democrats to the Senate.
-The experiment was tried in 1992-1994. The Dems controlled the House, -Senate, Presidency. The great achievement of those years: NAFTA (ugh) and -a rollback of tax breaks for the rich (a good thing).

Did you read the post. We haven't experimented with 60 Democrats. We had filibusters in 1993-94, not just against labor issues but a range of other bills as well.

Still, we got the Motor Voter vill, Family and Medical Leave Act, a massive expansion of the EITC, the Violence Against Women Act passed.

We have a Constitution that allows a minority of the population to filibuster legislation supported by large majorities. You can rail against Democrats for not passing magic wands to make the Constitution go away, but it's there.

Nathan Newman