[lbo-talk] Chechen hostages taken by Russian SF

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Wed Sep 8 07:52:11 PDT 2004

This "demonstration effect", as much as oil, was also the purpose of invading Iraq: to "shock and awe" the Arab Middle East into acceptance of a peace settlement on US-Israeli terms by punishing the irredentists, with Saddam and his army made to stand-in as their representative. So far, the effect has seemed the opposite, but collective punishment is also designed to be applied relentlessly, to grind down, exhaust, and break the will of the weaker party to resist -- even as justice-loving world opinion looks on in dismay and bewilderment. Putin, Sharon, and Rumsfeld/Cheney all subscribe to this school. Even liberals like Clinton succumb to this philosophy as they learn to exercise power. It is why employers incur huge costs to hold out in lengthy strikes. Mostly it works, but not always -- and also, as we can see, in societies not reputed to have "collective mindsets".

MG

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 9:20 AM Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Chechen hostages taken by Russian SF