[lbo-talk] CBS Poll bad news for Kerry

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 9 16:08:15 PDT 2004

James said:

>Reminds me of those arguments about Margaret Thatcher's supposed special
>appeal to the >upwardly mobile proles. It was all a big excuse for the
>failures of the left to put an inspiring >alternative.

Be that last sentence as it may, you can't fault people too badly for believing fervently in someone who swears to spread the misery around (especially to those who "deserve it"), especially when the upwardly mobile proles are caught in various squeezes eg financial, work-family, etc. to have the fruits of that upward mobility, like a home in suburbia.

Mike Harris appealed to that very same feeling here in Ontario (apparently following Reagan's lead) and did very well.

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ Powerful Parental Controls Let your child discover the best the Internet has to offer. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.