[lbo-talk] Re New Economist Poll: Bad News For Bush

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Sep 10 07:08:14 PDT 2004

The fact is that when Kerry speaks about the war he sounds like he is talking from both sides of his mouth. That's why Republican charges that he is a "flip-flopper" have resonated with so much of the electorate. I suspect that his poll numbers would be much better than they are if he took a forthright antiwar stance but to do so would cost him much of his backing from big business and their supporters within the Democratic Party like the DLC. The fact is, he doesn't seem to be offering a clearcut alternative to Bush on the war (Kerry, most recently has been talking about the US withdrawing from there within "five years") which is why despite the fact that Iraq is obviously becoming a quagmire, it's not doing serious damage to Bush. At this point, Kerry might succeed in outdoing Al Gore in blowing an election that he should otherwise win.

Jim F.