[lbo-talk] Helping the North Caucasus

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Fri Sep 10 07:44:03 PDT 2004

You're right. I had completely forgotten about that. I seem to recall some international observers accepted as legitimate the way the referendum was organized and the results, while others did not. And the Putin government has also since been accused to doing little to follow up with a more conciliatory posture towards the more moderate wing of the Chechen independence movement. But I stand corrected on my main point -- that the Russian reluctance to go to a referendum suggested the majority of Chechens favoured independence. The referendum, however flawed, would seem to indicate that if the Russians were prepared to grant a further measure of autonomy to the Chechens, an accomodation would be possible within the framework of the Russian federation. Of course, the devil is in the details. True?

MG

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Doss" <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 9:25 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Helping the North Caucasus