[lbo-talk] Re New Economist Poll: Bad News For Bush

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Sep 10 13:53:42 PDT 2004

On Sep 10, 2004, at 10:29 AM, Nathan Newman wrote:

> The problem is that Kerry doesn't support the forthright anti-war
> position
> and he would be a flip-flopper if he now changed his position.

Well, if we've come to the point that the Democratic Party runs as its presidential candidate a guy who can't forthrightly admit that he made a mistake because people would call it "flip-flopping," what kind of party is it?

Furthermore, don't Kerry and his spokespersons keep ridiculing Shrub for never changing his mind and sticking bullheadedly to mistaken positions?

As for Kerry's promises to raise the minimum wage, fix health care, etc., even not very bright Americans know enough to be skeptical of such promises. When was the last time the minimum wage was raised, health care fixed, or any such domestic problem alleviated, by either major party? They know the Republicans won't do these things -- people planning to vote for Bush are doing so for militaristic-super-patriotic reasons, not for his domestic policies -- and they're damned sure they won't happen under Kerry, either. The DP (the national party -- there are local exceptions in many places, where DP candidates have proven their good faith) has a mountain of cynicism and distrust to climb over, and a fellow like Kerry, who can't even speak a language ordinary Americans can understand, is not unfortunately the candidate to do it.

And what about the argument that if you're planning to vote for a candidate, you have a duty not to criticize her/him from the left and even to get out and work for her/him? Forgive me for being so commercial about this, but if I am buying a used car which has a pretty high mileage, quite a few body rattles, and various assorted drawbacks, but is at least serviceable cheap transportation, which is why I'm buying it, does that obligate me to keep my mouth shut about all of said drawbacks, and furthermore to go out and deliver advertising endorsements for the manufacturer of the car and the owner of the car lot, to help them sell more cars? It's their job to tout their merchandise, not mine.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile