[lbo-talk] Arrow (Was Re: law)

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sat Sep 11 10:47:13 PDT 2004

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>That was the point I was making to BM -- it doesn't
>matter to us if we have a justification of democracy
>or an answer to the objections or problems. We'd like
>a justification, but as long as we agree on democratic
>procedures, it's onlt icing. Democracy (as Rorty says)
>is prior to philosophy, deeper than justification. jks

I don't follow. Agreeing on democratic procedures is kind of like saying that there are no a priori solutions and that the best way forward is through freely-arrived-at consensus -- a social working through of a social problem. This only makes it prior to philosophy if you restrict what philosophy can be about. Plato/Socrates referred to this kind of working through in the Phaedrus when discussing the truth value of dialog over text.... No?

Joanna