[lbo-talk] New CBS Poll: Bad News For Kerry

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Sat Sep 11 17:24:31 PDT 2004

Charles Brown:

> CB: Those sound like a good guesses.
>
> I don't have a chart of names of the pertinent section of the interlocking
> directorate of the capitalist bureaucracy. However, to rig this poll
through
> the corporate bosses of it would seem less spectacular than the actions to
> take the last presidential election for Bush. There is good circumstantial
> evidence that "they" do this type of thing. Rarely to never would "we"
have
> smoking gun evidence of it, since we don't hang around with them at their
> big bureaus.
>
> Or maybe you think everything was on the up and up in the 2000 election, I
> don't know.
---------------------------- No, I think the election was stolen by the Supreme Court justices. Also, Watergate was an indisputable conspiracy to steal the 72 election. The invasion of Iraq was the work of a cabal with a hidden agenda -- hidden, at least, from the public although not people who follow politics closely. Maybe one day we'll find out there was another shooter around Dealey Plaza and that Roosevelt really did know the Japanese were going to bomb Pearl Harbor; I doubt it, but would not drop stone cold dead if new incriminating evidence did turn up one day.

So while I'm generally skeptical of conspiracy theories, I agree with you that people in power do conspire. But I think they conspire over big things, because the risk of exposure is so great, as Nixon discovered. A couple of opinion polls two months before an election? Those are hardly earth-shaking events, and too uncertain in terms of results -- there are so many other election variables, many yet to come into play -- for any would-be conspirator(s) to be tempted by what is really penny ante stuff. Sorry about the earlier edginess.

MG