[lbo-talk] Arrow (Was Re: law)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 12 05:03:16 PDT 2004

andie
> nachgeborenen wrote:
>> What I think Rorty means by saying that democracy
is
> prior to philosophy is pretty much what you say,
plus
> what I said before -- that our adherence to
democracy
> is more basic than any argument we might produce for
> or against it.

I think this shows Rorty's lack of imagination. What if it could be somehow conclusively proved (via the use of a magic crystal ball) that we had two options:

1. Adopt a democracy that would be gentle, but lead to a thermonuclear war.

2. Adopt a dictatorship that would be plenty brutal, but not lead to a thermonuclear war.

I know this is similar to a Wittgensteinian argument about religious beliefs in On Certainty that no emprical data or argument can undermine a tenet based on faith, but I think political beliefs are in a different class.