[lbo-talk] Arrow (Was Re: law)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 12 05:45:49 PDT 2004

I will grant you this, but this is not a philosophical argument. Even Nozick, who thinks that rights are absolute side-constraints on what you can do to people, agrees that if respecting people's rights would lead to moral catastrophe, and he uses the same example, then it would be OK to violate people's rights.

But I did not say that NOTHING would persuade us to give up on democracy. I said that lack of a good philosophical justificion, or the existence of an apparently irrefutable theoretical objection (like Arrow's theorem), would not shake our faith that democracy is the best system of government. Arrow's theorem is a pretty strong test -- ir's a theorem, after all, and there is no answer that is remotely agreed on. And yet . . .

jks