[lbo-talk] law/retributivism/Marxology

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Sun Sep 12 12:14:50 PDT 2004

Justin wrote:

> But note the logic of the position. In a genuinely
> democratic and classless society, the laws would be
> made by the ordinary citizens,a nd would be their own
> acts, and so the necessary condition for retributivism
> would be satisfied -- even if it would be far less
> needed than under capitalism.
>
> There is an analogy here with Marx's discussion in the
> Critique of the Gotha Progarm of the bourgeois
> principle, To Each According To His Work, which he
> thinks cannot be realized under capitslim, but only in
> the first phase of communism. Naturally Marx says
> there that in the higher pahase of communism, the
> narrow horizons of bourgeois right will be transcended
> and we will ultimately be able to look at each
> individual in his multi-sidededness rather than merely
> as a worker (the parallel to merely as a free actor in
> the abstract here), thus realing the principle To Each
> According To His Need.
>
> In that happy world, no doubt, there would be no need
> for punishment, or so litle that it would not merit a
> theory. But in the meantime, just as under the first
> phase of communism the bourgeois principle of
> distribution of wealth could be realized, so under
> that phase of communism, the bourgeois but only
> correct -- retributivist-- theory of punsihment could
> also be realized.

The "bourgeois principle of distribution" isn't a "correct" principle applicable in "crude communism." It's a "defect," a "bourgeois limitation" that "constantly stigmatizes" the understanding of "equal right" in that context.

> In spite of this advance, this equal right is still constantly
> stigmatized by a bourgeois limitation. The right of the producers is
> proportional to the labor they supply; the equality consists in the
> fact that measurement is made with an equal standard, labor.
>
> But one man is superior to another physically, or mentally, and
> supplies more labor in the same time, or can labor for a longer time;
> and labor, to serve as a measure, must be defined by its duration or
> intensity, otherwise it ceases to be a standard of measurement. This
> equal right is an unequal right for unequal labor. It recognizes no
> class differences, because everyone is only a worker like everyone
> else; but it tacitly recognizes unequal individual endowment, and thus
> productive capacity, as a natural privilege. It is, therefore, a right
> of inequality, in its content, like every right. Right, by its very
> nature, can consist only in the application of an equal standard; but
> unequal individuals (and they would not be different individuals if
> they were not unequal) are measurable only by an equal standard
> insofar as they are brought under an equal point of view, are taken
> from one definite side only -- for instance, in the present case, are
> regarded only as workers and nothing more is seen in them, everything
> else being ignored. Further, one worker is married, another is not;
> one has more children than another, and so on and so forth. Thus, with
> an equal performance of labor, and hence an equal in the social
> consumption fund, one will in fact receive more than another, one will
> be richer than another, and so on. To avoid all these defects, right,
> instead of being equal, would have to be unequal.
>
> But these defects are inevitable in the first phase of communist
> society as it is when it has just emerged after prolonged birth pangs
> from capitalist society. Right can never be higher than the economic
> structure of society and its cultural development conditioned thereby.

Similarly, the "greed" disguised as "general envy" and the "communal lust" that Marx, in the Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts, claims will characterize "crude communism" are not "correct" in that context.

These are all manifestations "of the vileness of private property, which wants to set itself up as the positive community system."

Ted