[lbo-talk] Marxology and Distributive Principles (Digression)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 12 12:43:33 PDT 2004

> The "bourgeois principle of distribution" isn't a
> "correct" principle
> applicable in "crude communism." It's a "defect," a
> "bourgeois
> limitation" that "constantly stigmatizes" the
> understanding of "equal
> right" in that context.

I didn't say anything about "crude communism," an expression which does not occur in the Critique of the Gotha Program, but only in the much earlier Paris Manuscripts. And is described in totally different terms from the "lower phase of communism," which does occue in the GCP. The difference is that "crude communism" is a vulgar leveling, whereas the "lower phase" is just the period of communism where the principle To Each ACcording to Hois Work applies, before (as Marx imagines) the forces of production are unfettered. abundance reigns, and the the higher phase of communism is introduced with the princople To Each According to His needs. The former "work" principle is clearly describeda s the correct principle for the lower phase of communism -- as well as for bourgeois society, thogh unrealizable under bourgeois society.

I never said it was the correct principle tout court. It is annoying to have careless views attributed to me on the basis of careless readings when Ted can do better. I have a brief but (if I may flatter myself) quite good discussion of this published as paprt of a paper in the journal Legal Theory a few years back, I'm seeing if I can find an electronic version that I can post for those who want an analysis.