Fwd: Re: [lbo-talk] Re:(Powerless religious right?)

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Sep 13 15:26:58 PDT 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> That is simply not true, see:
> http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html#religions
> Showing that the number of self-identified adherents of Christianity
> (76.5% of US population) grew by 9 million (5% growth rate) between 1990
> and 2001; for Islam (0.5% of US population) the growth was 0.6 million
> (109% growth rate). The numbers of agnostics (0.5% of US pop) declined
> by 16%.

You haven't disproven my point, that membership in Relgious Right *organizations* has declined. Of course, there are still many people out there who will identify with the various strains of religious fundamentalism, but this isn't the same as *membership* in *organizations*, or being active foot soldiers in a movement that has been waning since the mid-90s.

I wish I had the citation handy with the quote from the religious right leader about how many of the local chapters of religious right organizations have turned into empty shells.

Chuck