[lbo-talk] Madonna comes to town...

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Wed Sep 15 21:01:04 PDT 2004

On Sunday, the Israeli tourism minister, Gideon Ezra, is expected to give Madonna an ancient oil lamp and a coin from the Byzantine period.

"There’s no question having stars in the country is a wonderful way to show the world the wonders of our nation," said Rami Levi, of Israel’s tourism ministry.

The ministry was hoping that Madonna would agree to be filmed for a video to promote tourism.

At Rachel’s Tomb, soldiers positioned behind sandbags tightened security ahead of Madonna’s expected visit.

"Tell her that we’re waiting to see her," one soldier said.

But a group of religious teenagers, wearing long sleeves and skirts despite the summer heat, were clearly at a loss as they waited inside the shrine for an armoured bus to take them home. "Madonna? Who’s that?" asked one of the girls.

It's the bleedin' virgin Mary, come to Jerusalem to get religion.

Joanna