[lbo-talk] Re: Powerless religious right?

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Thu Sep 16 21:09:03 PDT 2004

Hi,

It's 12:01 am... A new posting day begins

:-)

Ashcroft is Attorney General of the United States and is in the Cabinet. He is a member of an ultra-conservative evangelical denomination, the Assemblies of God. He was a leader of the Christian Right before his appointment. After his appointment, much of the higher level of the Justice Deprtment was replaced with conservative Christian evangelicals and members of the ultra-conservative Federalist Society. Christian prayer sessions were instituted, and a statue of justice was draped because it showed a breast. Many policies were changed to reflect the concerns of the Christian Right.

Ralph Reed, the former executive director of the Christian Coalition became the head of the Republican Party of Georgia and now is a major Republican Party campaign strategist.

http://www.censtrat.com/

In 2002 a serious study in Campaigns & Elections magazine found that the Christian Right effectively controlled the GOP state political machine in 18 states, and was strong in 26 others.

http://www.4religious-right.info/campaigns_elections_study.htm

A look at the recent platform of the Republican Party of Texas is instructive.

http://www.texasgop.org/library/platform.php

At one point, seven leading Senate Republicans--Bill Frist, TN; Mitch McConnell, KY; Rick Santorum, PA; Bob Bennet, UT; Kay Bailey Hutchison, TX; Jon Kyl, AZ; and George Allen, VA--worked openly and closely with the Christian Right, and received a 100% rating from the Christian Coalition.

On the issues of reproductive rights and gay rights and AIDS prevention the policies of the Christian Right have been repeatedly enacted into law, made part of federal regulations, and enforced in policies and funding patterns.

-Chip Berlet

<http://www.censtrat.com/> -----Original Message----- From: srobin21 at comcast.net [mailto:srobin21 at comcast.net] Sent: Thu 9/16/2004 6:10 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Cc: Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Re: Powerless religious right?