[lbo-talk] Re: light of my life, maybe not the fire of my loins

paul childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 17 13:23:45 PDT 2004

> How about that it's yet another sign that Japan is a fucked up,
>sexist, class ridden, racist, society with dangerously bizarre
>notions of how female sexuality is expressed?

>Maybe what is fucked up is Paul's notions of how female sexuality
>should be expressed. I have friends who cross-dress, wear leather,
>dress as little girls and boys and guess what -- there is nothing
>wrong with their sexual expression. What is bizarre is Paul's need
>to act as a sexual ayatollah.

Right, my mistake, Japan is nation of emancipated women and enlightened men expressing their sexuality freely, openly, in ways that are respectful and egalitarian.

>The problem is with puritanical judgments about proper sexual
>expression. If it is not causing any harm, what is wrong with it?
>If someone wants to have sex while sucking a pacifier or wearing a
>diaper or in a tutu -- who cares? (except, of course, the puritanical,
>reactionary left). A few of my friends feel better and are able to
>function better when they wear diapers under their street clothes.
>What is the big deal about that?

Nothing at all. But I didn't read anything in this article that said adult Japanese men were dressing like pubescent boys to go to college and work. Women were dressing up. I have no idea what 'Proper' sexual expression is or isn't, but given my understanding of Japanese culture this fashion trend is more in line with women in school girl outfits in manga and Asian sex tourism (by all people, not just the Japanese) than it is about women expressing their sexuality in an enlightened environment.

> I read this and got the same chill I get when I read anything about Woody Allen.

>I get chills when I read something like this on a leftist/progressive list:
>personal sex hang-ups being passed off as social commentary. It is a
>whole lot more dangerous than fetish wear ever will be.

Again, when I read that Japanese men are dressing like little boys I'll stop shuddering, in the interim, I find this disturbing. Sorry if that offends your sense of left propriety.

PC

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon