[lbo-talk] Irony of the Anybody But Nader Campaign

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Sep 18 07:19:57 PDT 2004

On Sep 18, 2004, at 1:27 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Because Nader is not running to be elected but to preach a left-wing
> gospel that he feels Kerry neglects, he would have campaigned in all
> these states were he permitted on their ballots.

Excuse me, but this sounds a little nutsy to me. If Nader's purpose is to "preach a left-wing gospel," why doesn't he just preach it? He can travel all over the country -- it's a free country, after all <g> -- and "preach" whatever he wants. And not just every four years, coincidentally at the time of the presidential election, but every day, every year.

Yet he pops up every election year to take votes away from the major party opponent to the Republican candidate. Otherwise, we never hear him.

"Not running to be elected" -- no, he's running so that someone else *won't* be elected.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)