[lbo-talk] It begins . . . .

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 18 08:07:07 PDT 2004

Wojtek said:

>Expanding voting rights to all immigrants (not just citizens) and the
>right to hold all public offices, including presidency, to all citizens,
>both native and naturalized, looks to me like a very progressive
>proposal that should be enthusiastically embraced by the Left. Nativism
>is probably the most reactionary movement imaginable, far more obnoxious
>than all forms of capitalism combined.
>
>I agree that there is an extremely reactionary element among some
>immigrant groups (cf. Cubans, E. Europeans, S. Vietnamese) - but
>generally immigrants can and have been a progressive force in this
>country.

I agree with all this, but don't you think the timing, source, and circumstances are just the tiniest bit suspect? Wait until there's a viable "left" candidate (or at least little to no chance of another ringer being brought in by the GOP) who comes from an immigrant background, then make all the noise you want about obnoxious nativism and how the system needs to be changed. It's not like being a relatively recent immigrant is de rigeur for being put into the Whitehouse on a progressive slate.

I'd support killing the motion should it arise in the context of Republican hijinks.

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.