[lbo-talk] Health Care is Different

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Wed Sep 22 09:59:20 PDT 2004

I have seen the Labor Party proposal and am aware "Single-Payer" legislation gets filed quite often (in the state of Massachusetts, one-third of the state legislature supports single-payer). But why is it so important to reproduce Canada exactly; especially considering that there are some real problems there?

I am definitely saying keep all the progressive stuff, but why not think a bit more originally on some issues (for example, fee-for-service payment mechanisms are widely discredited and create all kinds incentives to create bad care--yet this is a central payment method in HR 676 for many provider types). This is not a small issue but consistently gets glossed over by people (I understand why physicians gloss over it but I am puzzled why the Labor Party would).

I also need to recommend the same book Todd Archer did (yes, its a bit dated but as single-payer proposals are dated it still is important)--Strong Medicine: How to Save Canada's Health Care System" by Michael Rachlis and Carol Kushner.

For the record, Finland did the best job in the 90's controlling costs AND providing health care for all its citizens. Aren't there some lessons to be learned from other countries? Canada did an OK job controlling cost and still had enormous financial pressures that caused real hardships on people affected by other budget cuts. Should we ignore the fact that other progressive policies would be lost or rolled back if we follow this path?

Jim

Quoting JBrown72073 at cs.com: