[lbo-talk] Commodity Fetishism (was Re: light of my life, maybe not the fire of my loins)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Sep 19 09:34:35 PDT 2004

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu, Sun Sep 19 09:22:03 PDT 2004:

>Why is the properly-used concept difficult? It made perfect sense
>to me when I first read the beginning of Das K as an undergraduate.
>It is a mistake to look only at products and prices, rather than the
>social relationships that create them. Capitalist exploitation
>precedes exchange. Conventional economists, smitten and fooled by
>capitalism, miss this point, which renders their work misleading.
>Where's the difficulty?

When workers go shopping at Ito-Yokado or Jusco or Target or Wal-Mart and see low, low prices, the first thought that occurs to them is usually not, "Egad, my labor power is getting cheapened!"

When workers go to gas stations to fill up the tanks of their cars nowadays, the first thought that occurs to them is usually not, "Wow, my labor power is getting dearer!" -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>