[lbo-talk] Re: sadists "sick in the head"? (was light of my life, maybe not the fire of my loins)

R rhisiart at charter.net
Sun Sep 19 15:57:56 PDT 2004

At 09:37 AM 9/19/2004, you wrote:

>>--- Brian Charles Dauth <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>Being a masochist or dominant or
>>sadist is just as much a part of sexual orientation as
>>being gay or
>>lesbian.
>>---
>>
>>No it isn't. Being a sadist means being turned on by
>>causing pain, i.e., sick in the head.
>>
>>Chris Doss
>
>Being a sadist does not mean you are mentally ill.

yes it does, John. sadistic personality disorder and sadomasochistic disorder are clearly defined emotional problems. not everyone with these problems are happy, well adjusted people.

>I've known a few who were very nice and caring people.

except when they were being sadistic, right?

>While there are certainly sadistic people who enjoy inflicting pain on
>others AGAINST their will in a relationship of dominance and submission
>where two CONSENTING adults use pain and discomfort to attain sexual
>satisfaction nobody is being forced to do anything against their will.

finding a mentally ill masochist for a partner may mean what a person is doing isn't illegal, not that it's not mentally ill or deviant behavior.

>This is a big distinction. Sadists can be sociopaths but it is not a
>requirement to be one in order to be a sadist.

it helps. sadism is a form of character disorder.

>I think many more people are excited by S/M practices than feel
>comfortable admitting to.
>
>John Thornton

interesting. ever looked into it?