[lbo-talk] Voodoo voting

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Sep 20 07:46:12 PDT 2004

Latest from Indonesia on BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3670804.stm

"One voter, Siti Komariah, told the Associated Press: "I voted for SBY because I think he is smart and good looking. I want the country to be safer, I want prices to be lower".

I think that captures voter rationality quite well. The bullshit posted to this list by Yoshie and assorted Naderites - not to mention about half of this country's voters who voted for Schwartz and will vote for Bush - makes as much sense as the quoted sentiment. This is voodoo politics in which image = reality, so if you want to change reality, attenuate the image.

PS, Kelley's link http://bagnewsnotes.typepad.com/bagnews/images/clips/vol6no6breakglass80.jpg

proposes perhaps the most rational way to achieve any progressive change for those who live in this country.

Wojtek