[lbo-talk] Re: Sexual self-expression

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 21 08:32:37 PDT 2004

BklynMagus wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> > On this basis, an argument can be constructed
> that sadomasochistic relations are not the "best"
> relations i.e. the relations capable of producing
> the greatest pleasure.

I don't know who Brian is quoting here, or its original context, but I think it inadvisable to theorize what is "best" (or not so good or bad or sort of good) in private conduct. My objection I guess would be partly epistemological and partly political.

1. We just fucking don't know what will or should "please" someone else. I find repellant, for example, the occasional chatter on this list about food tastes. Hence it is intellectual arrogance to declare that Pleasure 1 (for someone else) is greater or should be greater than Pleasure 2. It isn't just arrogant, it is unacceptably arrogant, to make such judgments about the private experiences of others.

2. Such uncalled-for intellectual arrogance is politically divisive. It is hard enough to achieve political unity around open practice without hauling in judgments of the proper forms of private pleasure.

2a. The somewhat abrasive tone of this post illustrates point 2. If you start talking about what should be or shouldn't be pleasure you are going to provoke tone like this.

Carrol