[lbo-talk] Sexual self-expression

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 21 09:42:16 PDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:54:16 -0400, ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org> wrote:

> and similarly for incest... what's the non-biological problem with it?
> it can meet the 'consenting adults' requirement.
>
> --ravi

http://www.equityfeminism.com/andrea_dworkin/dworkin_001.html

The parent-child relationship is primarily erotic because all human relationships are primarily erotic. The incest taboo is a particularized form of repression, one which functions as the bulwark of all other repressions. The incest taboo ensures that however free we become, we never become genuinely free. The incest taboo, because it denies us essential fulfillment with the parents whom we love with our primary energy, forces us to internalize those parents and constantly seek them...

The incest taboo does the worst work of the culture: it teaches us the mechanisms of repressing and internalizing erotic feeling -- it forces us to develop those mechanisms in the first place; it forces us to particularize sexual feeling, so that it congeals into a need for a particular sexual "object"; it demands that we place the nuclear family above the human family. The destruction of the incest taboo is essential to the development of cooperative human community based on the free-flow of natural androgynous eroticism (Dworkin 1974, p.189).

A few paragraphs later, Dworkin makes it explicitly that she seeks nothing less than the destruction of "the nuclear family as the primary institution of the culture" (Dworkin 1974, p.190).

The above statements do not explicitly talk about sex with children, and perhaps they could be construed as dealing only with adults. Dworkin, unfortunately for her, does not end her chapter on androgyny before making it explicit that this does indeed apply to children as well. Exhorting women to take power and transform the world to an androgynous system, Dworkin counsels that children too must be liberated. What would children’s liberation look like, As for children, they too are erotic beings, closer to androgyny than the adults who oppress them. Children are fully capable of participating in community, and have every right to live out their own erotic impulses (Dworkin 1974, p.191-2).

-- Michael Pugliese