[lbo-talk] US Campaign| Defend Academic Freedom

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 21 11:18:03 PDT 2004

Doug wrote:
>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>When Muslims say "In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most
>>Merciful" in letters and the like, my brain automatically translates
>>it into "Greetings and Salutations!"
>
>Do you do the same for Christians and their ritual speech? Wiccans,
>when they say "blessed be"?

As long as the substance is on the left, yes, like the MSA petition about academic freedom and Bob Edgar's prayer at the "The-World-Says-No-to-the-Bush-Agenda" anti-RNC march.

I'd recommend that secular left-wing organizers develop their Rolodex of local religious leaders on the left. Collect the names and contact info of pastors, priests, rabbis, imams, and other formal and informal leaders in religious communities, and put down their respective political interests (labor, women's rights, GLBT rights, anti-war, Palestinian solidarity, etc.) and resources (sizes of their places of warship available for meetings, etc.) next to each entry.

I'd also recommend that secular left-wing organizers stop by friendly churches and other places of worship from time to time if time allows. If they don't have that much time, at least hit a local interfaith association event, a local Council of American Islamic Relations event, an MSA event, etc., where you can catch many of the likely ones in one swoop. Put in "face time," support left-wing activities that they initiate, and they are likely to reciprocate favors when you need them. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>