[lbo-talk] US Campaign| Defend Academic Freedom

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 21 11:41:29 PDT 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Doug wrote:
> >Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> >
> >>When Muslims say "In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most
> >>Merciful" in letters and the like, my brain automatically translates
> >>it into "Greetings and Salutations!"
> >
> >Do you do the same for Christians and their ritual speech? Wiccans,
> >when they say "blessed be"?
>
> As long as the substance is on the left, yes, like the MSA petition
> about academic freedom and Bob Edgar's prayer at the
> "The-World-Says-No-to-the-Bush-Agenda" anti-RNC march.

I've been amazed that there should even be need of discussion of this. Take away Christians from the left at the present time and there isn't much left left. And when it is a victim of u.s. imperialism, how can there be any quibble?

I hope I don't see any complaints in the future on this list about alleged marxist "purism." Such complaints would be utterly hypocritical after this thread.

Carrol