[lbo-talk] Re: sexual self-expression

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 21 14:41:04 PDT 2004

Dear List:

jimi asks:

> informed consent = freedom? golden wind!

If it were so easy. I think informed consent allows a person to make as free a choice as possible within the matrix she finds herself.

It is not perfect, but seems the best people can do.

Carrol writes:

> It is hard enough to achieve political unity around
open practice without hauling in judgments of the proper forms of private pleasure.

I would say it even goes further than that. A widespread movement could be based in part around the struggle for individual integrity/autonomy and manifestations of sexual and emotional expression.

Lenin and the other revolutionaries in Russia were for free love. But somehow the movement was derailed and we got Stalin, the pink persecutions of 1950's America, and the general lackluster support for sexual self-expression of today.

If the article that Carl posted is correct, passions are making a comeback. The neurotic, Woody Allenesque approach to sex is on its way out (thank dog). In my own recent experience, young people (both queers and non-queers) are uncomfortable with the Right first and foremost on the issue of sexual expression.

I think this is a feeling the Left should tap into. Passing out copies of Feuerbach's theses is not going to convert a lot of people. But if you can involve them in a movement that shows concern for their well-being, sexually and otherwise, you will get somewhere.

The Right succeeds by convincing people they are concerned with their moral and spiritual well-being. The Left needs to evince concern in sexual and other areas.

Ravi asks:

> to repeat my question: in such a case, say two adult male siblings,
what is the non-biological problem with it?

> maybe i should add "twin" to deny reference to natural power
relationships, caused by difference in age.

To answer your question Ravi, there is nothing wrong with it. In fact, some of the most intense sexual experiences I have had involved gay twins (identical is better). In fact, most twins I have known have expressed some level of interest in having shared sexual experiences.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister