[lbo-talk] Anti-Muslim Sentiment Affects PSU Students (US Campaign| Defend Academic Freedom)

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Sep 21 17:10:57 PDT 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> I have done no such thing. It is Michael Dawson's fearful imagination
> that made him think that I sent a letter.

My apologies, there was something in the tone of that posting that made me think you had published it some other place: your blog, or the school paper.

But getting back to your letter to LBO: you drew a connection between Michael's unwillingness to sign a petition that begins "In the name of God the most merciful..." and overtly anti-muslim discrimination at the campus where he teaches.

I don't know, I think there's enough shit going on right now without stuff like this added to it. Yoshie, do you really think that Michael is anti-Muslim? I was also uncomfortable signing that petition precisely because of the religious umbrella under which it is offered. If someone offered me a petition in the name of "Jesus Christ" I would also be reluctant to sign it.

I work with a muslim engineer. If you really think that my reluctance to sign this petition is evidence of my anti-muslim stance, I'll give you his email address. You can write him and warn him against me.

Joanna