[lbo-talk] Anti-Muslim Sentiment Affects PSU Students (US Campaign| Defend Academic Freedom)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 21 19:50:57 PDT 2004

ravi wrote:

>joanna bujes wrote:
>>But getting back to your letter to LBO: you drew a connection
>>between Michael's unwillingness to sign a petition that begins "In
>>the name of God the most merciful..." and overtly anti-muslim
>>discrimination at the campus where he teaches.
>>
>>I don't know, I think there's enough shit going on right now
>>without stuff like this added to it.
> >

>perhaps you missed the parts where michael dawson called her a bot
>and ridiculed her blog. perhaps i missed the part where she incited
>such a post from him. either way, this whole thing looks no
>different from a good old usenet flamewar. which is rather
>disappointing. all parties taking sides (and i am a bit surprised to
>see ian in that group) might wish to consider the last line of the
>quoted text above.

Thank you. I'm catching up on email a little late in the evening, so I'm not in tip-top form. But this all seems deeply unfortunate and ugly - intemperate remarks on all sides magnified at the distance of ten virtual paces. Michael Dawson shouldn't have singled out Muslims for criticism for fundamentalism, and Yoshie shouldn't have gotten on her high horse, and Carrol shouldn't have tried to prove to the world what an enemy of bigotry he is, etc. All of it's hideous and unproductive and reflects badly on all concerned. Who's the enemy, people?

Doug