[lbo-talk] Sexual self-expression

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 06:34:34 PDT 2004

--- snit snat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> "
> http://slate.msn.com/?id=2064227
>
> The Love That Dare Not Speak Its Surname
> What's wrong with marrying your cousin?
>
> (and, the genetic issue would only involve barring
> reproduction, not sexual
> relations.)

People marry their cousins in lots of cultures, including in parts of the United States. The Pharoahs were required to marry their sisters. Our reaction to cousin-marrying I think is probably a culturally-produced Ick Factor, shall we say. But that goes for a lot of our moral judgments, I suspect. I think a lot of "moral philosophy" is really just after-the-fact rationalizing of our culturally-produced Icks. And I think that's perfectly fine.