[lbo-talk] Sexual Bigotry and Moral Philosophy

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 08:32:24 PDT 2004

Would you dredge up these examples to explain why you don't engage in homosexual activity, if you don't? No one here is advocating the practices you mention, so why discuss them?

It is bigotry redolent of the fundies to bring up this stuff. (Though as I said some of them are more progressive.) It's just an attempt to smear practices you don't like by association. I'd guess that (almost ?) everyone here thinks that these practices are really icky even if, as with consensual adult incest, they are harmless.

As I said before, you don't need an explanation for not doing something (harmless) because you think it is icky. Just don't do it, then. If you thought it was icky, it wouldn't turn on people who like it do it with you, and they wouldn't want to do it with you.

But it's also inappropriate to excoriate others who do like it because they don't think it is icky. Actually it is worse than inappropriate. It is puritanical. Reactionary. Bigoted. Wrong. Vile. In fact, icky. As you would think -- I hope! -- if someone here laid into Brian because he's gay (as well as kinky), suggesting that it is bad for boys to like boys.

In connection with your comment that moral philosophy is a rationalization of our icks and that's OK. Yes, but as you also know, it is only the judgments we'd want to make reflectively that we keep in our moral philosophy. Pre-reflective judgments about which questions arise and that cannot be explained, justified, and defended, ought to be discarded.

So if all you have is the ick, that should make you reconsider. And that is all you have with kink, apart from some bad analogies and pseudo-Hegelian doubletalk from Kovel and Ted. You needn't reconsider the ick as far as yourself goes -- no one is asking you into a dungeon -- but the judgment that it is anything more than a wholly personal preference, like some people's taste for boys or girls or blondes or African-Americans or partners with big cocks or small tits.