[lbo-talk] S/M, or Operation Save America

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Sep 22 15:20:59 PDT 2004

> > But was Hegel qualified to talk about consensual S/M? Hegel possessed
>> no knowledge about it, nor (to his credit) did he claim to. Consensual
>> S/M is the opposite of slavery, in that, unlike in slavery, the bottom
>> is not enslaved by the top. S/M is a role-playing game, in which
>> practitioners freely choose their favorite roles and define rules
>> together (between S/M partners and within S/M communities). Slavery,
>> unlike S/M, wasn't a game, and it insults the enslaved to conflate the
>> two.
>
>I know what consensual S/M is, but thanks for the education I guess.
>I didn't say Hegel was talking about consensual S/M, I said he was
>talking about the master/slave relationship.
>
>Joanna

Whatever insight into the master/slave relationship Hegel had doesn't have anything to do with insight into the relation between two (or more) consenting adults who practice S/M, for in the latter the bottom is not enslaved by the top, nor does the bottom labor for the top in a one-sided fashion, unlike in the master/slave relationship that Hegel discussed.

In any case, why turn to a dead man who never said a word about S/M, when we have contemporary experts such as Dan Savage who know what they are talking about: e.g, <http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0424/savage.php>? Confront the real world in the twenty-first century, rather than escape into the nineteenth century. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>