[lbo-talk] Queer Theory, was Re: Sex, Kink and Ick

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu Sep 23 10:21:02 PDT 2004

On Sep 23, 2004, at 12:08 PM, joanna bujes wrote:

> ...but I am puzzled why in rejecting identification as a mode of being
> one feels the need for the label of "queer". Why do I have to be
> anything or call myself anything in order to critique a political
> strategy?

I would suppose (being quite definitely straight myself, feeling no need to "question my sexual identity") that GLBT folks (I think I got the acronym right), being a persecuted minority, feel (like other persecuted minorities have through history) that they need to develop a political strategy to defend themselves against a system that attacks them. I don't have any problem understanding that, and I wish them all the best in developing that strategy. Whether or not "queer theory" is a help in that project or not I couldn't say, since I don't understand it at all well.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt