[lbo-talk] the petro-thusians/Schools

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Sep 23 16:39:41 PDT 2004

Yes. What Jordan says is true of Oakland. There are some outstanding public schools in Oakland. As a parent you have to put in a lot of time to figure out which they are, and then you wind up spending a lot of time and money figuring out how to get your kid in them, donating lots of money so they can have art teachers, physical education, music teachers, etc., donating a lot of time to help with field trips, mentoring, tutoring, clean up, xtra activities. Etc.

It's both awful and great. It's awful that there's no investment in public education: the state is not doing its job. It's awful that only a few schools can get the parent involvement. But it's also great. I've had the time of my life getting to know other people and working together with them to make the schools work for the kids. I've also noticed that my participation/concern with school has had an amazing positive effect on my daughter's interest in school and her notion of its importance.

Joanna