[lbo-talk] Eat shit and die, was United against a Pro-War Democrat

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Fri Sep 24 09:25:29 PDT 2004

In point of fact, the one person who knew JFK better than anyone else, Robert Kennedy, was willing to let history know exactly what his brother's intentions in Vietnam had been as early as 1964 and 1965, the critical period before it had truly become "Johnson's War." In a series of oral history interviews for the JFK Library, RFK said that "it was worthwhile for psychological, political reasons" to stay in Vietnam.

"The President felt that he had a strong, overwhelming reason for being in Vietnam and that we should win the war in Vietnam....If you lost Vietnam, I think everybody was quite clear that the rest of Southeast Asia would fall."

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of lweiger at umich.edu Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 7:27 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Eat shit and die, was United against a Pro-War Democrat

Quoting "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>:

> "...won the war of national liberation for the Vietnamese"? Vietnam today
> doesn't look much like a country that won such a war. The US achieved its
> war aim -- thwarting an example of independent development under domestic
> control. --CGE

I've asked before, and I'll ask again: what evidence do you have that anyone in the Kennedy administration was quaking at the prospect of utopia in Vietnam?

If you said something along these lines to McNamara, he'd laugh at you, and for once in his life, he'd do so sincerely.