[lbo-talk] Queer Theory, was Re: Sex, Kink and Ick

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Sep 25 11:49:26 PDT 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Charles Brown wrote:

> CB: Yes, I see male supremacy, capitalism and racism as interconnected
> systems. But I don't see heterosexuality as interconnected, mutually
> reinforcing with these in the way they are interconnected with each other.
>
> Heterosexuality doesn't reinforce or interconnect with capitalism or racism
> in any special way or more than homosexuality.

Take a look at Zaretsky's Capitalism, the family, and personal life. Heterosexual family relations are a crucial component of actually existing capitalist societies. Could capitalism exist without heterosexism? Sure. However, just as sexism and racism interconnect with and reinforce capitalism, even though they are not necessary components of every possible capitalist society, just so with heterosexism.

Miles