[lbo-talk] The Million Worker March toward a Labor Movement

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Sep 26 11:28:52 PDT 2004

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu, Sun Sep 26 11:14:37 PDT 2004:
>Yoshie: "The sad reality is that the state of organized labor is
>such that even if the AFL-CIO were to endorse and mobilize for the
>Million Worker March, it wouldn't supersize the march to one million
>workers."
>
>Then why in the world are you wasting your time being radical?
>Seriously. If putting 1 million labor activists and allies in the
>street is literally impossible in a society with a working class
>that number 200 million, why not give up?

It is impossible to put one million workers in the street advancing the Million Worker March's demands at this point in history, but I have and will continue to do what I can to change that (and so do others committed to social change on the left), so that in the future we will have not just one million workers but millions of workers mobilizing for the Million Worker March's demands and more. There is no instant gratification in political organizing, especially in nations such as the United States where there is no strong foundation (like a strong labor movement, a powerful political party of the working class and our allies, well-organized movements of millions of politically active women, Blacks, Latinos, etc.) for it. That we can't have what we want to have right away, that we have to work very hard for it so we will be able to have it in the future, with no guarantee that our hard work will be eventually rewarded -- that's no reason to give up. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>