[lbo-talk] Kink, Ick & the Left /sexual

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Sep 27 08:15:53 PDT 2004

Kelley:Oh. Ima talkin' 'bout heterosexISM or hetnormativity. Not the same thing as heterosexuality. Just as being male isn't the same thing as male supremacy.

^^^^ CB:

Male is to male supremacy as heterosexual is to so-called hetereosexism.

Not

I'm saying that a heterosexual should _not_ consider herself in the same type of oppressor class relative to homosexuals as a man does in considering his relationship to women. Exactly.

I am putting forth the view that there is no such thing as heterosexISM. "Ism" words are inappropriate to use to describe the social and political phenomena of hetersexual/homosexual social relations.

I don't see "HeterosexISM" as integral to capitalism. A large amount of heterosexual sex is required to reproduce the working class population. So, if you mean that in the sense of population control, the capitalists know that there has to be a lot of that, sure. But, I'm not sure there has ever been any real danger of a population under capitalism becoming insufficiently heterosexual for producing the numbers of workers the capitalists want, so why would there develop any capitalist systematic institutions to discourage homosexuality ? I don't see a materialist, class issue link to socalled heterosexISM .

When necessary to its purposes, capitalism readily gives up heterosexual relations aomong certain populations as with the pirate/slavekidnappers, or HMS colonialist shippers, or in prisons or South African men forced to live in shanty towns away from their families. I think the celebacy of Catholic priests arose in the capitalist era, didn't it ?

I see no connection between racism and socalled heterosexism. The connection with sexism is contradictory, in my opinion.

I think one thing that happens is that the capitalists ruling class does get worried about the reproductive slowdown of certain elite and favored populations - rich , white people mainly - and so may discourage homosexuality or at least encourage reproduction among them. But even that is not necessarily a "secular" trend.

<..>
> CB: Sex acts are mainly about people having orgasms. A variety of
>"aesthetics"trigger or help different people have orgasms. The conventional
>hetero aesthetic preference is ok politically.
>
>Kelley:Awwww. now there yer being male supremacist! :) MArilyn Frye has a
>great piece on this. If yer a lesbian/bi, maybe sex acts aren't always seen
>as ending with an orgasm!
>
>CB: I'm coming off of years of advice from women that men are male
>supremacist for _not_ focussing on the woman's orgasm, so I'll choose to
>respond to those women's demands in this horny dilemma :>)

:)

:>)

>Kelley: Well, personally, I think all men just need to get fucked in the
ass
>or suck some cock or something. It would do their personalities some good.
>
>(OK> look. 260 hrs of work in three weeks makes me punchy. And fucking
>horny! Thank the dead guy on a stick that my partner can leave his sister's
>soon! :)))))))))))))))
>
>^^^^^^^
>CB: I had a colonoscopy. That'll have to be it for me. And a
>Sigmoid-Freud-oscopy.

awww. You just need the right woman to help you out! :)) Better Living Through Prostate Massage!

^^^^^ CB: And I promise to have a much better personality if she does.

><..>
>^^^^
>CB: Yea, hit me with the Foucault stuff when the winds die down.

smoochiez! Now, I'm gonna go finishg cleaning. I thought it would be a hurricane-free weekend. Guess freakin' not. Looks like the sucker is going to head straight for Tampa Bay. "Fortunately," that will just mean tropical storm by the time it gets here, but the winds are already whipping. Much stronger pre-hurricane winds than I've seen yet. Guess I get to spend the day storing and freezing water. Guh.

It's pretty funny. Everyone just keeps the plywood on their windows. I just got back from grocery shopping. The bagger said, "Hey, I have an idea. For Halloween, we =should keep the plywood up and start a new tradition, decorating the plywood with Jackolatern faces." HA

Here's this 17 y.or, btw, going on about how a costume this year could be a dead Prez Bush. !! Then he said, "Someone would probably get thrown in jail for that." Wahoo! A politically aware high schooler!

Hurricane-weary,

Kell

^^^^^^^^ CB: I'll be talkin' your ear off when we get snowed in.

Hey , Alex likes his new school ( he said with his fingers crossed).