[lbo-talk] Re: stupid americans?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 10:17:26 PDT 2004

>T Fast wrote:
>
>>Not to be too pressing but why should this bother you any more or any less
>>when the critic is American or or not?
>
>Because when American do it, they're assuming they're smarter than their
>neighbors. It implies they're apart from or above the society that produced
>them, and immune to its alleged faults.
>
>Doug

Spoken like a true American, Doug :) Your answer explains why the US is such a cripplingly conformist society. Criticize others and you’re putting on airs, saying you're different, you're better. The national motto: "Who the hell do you think you are, buddy?"

This country doesn’t just tolerate mediocrity; it insists on it. Mediocrity is, of course, the iron law of capitalism – the drive to turn not just every item but every individual into a commodity, to ensure that no worker (except the uniquely talented "visionaries" at the top of the heap) is irreplaceable. But I think the US pursues the lowest common denominator with a zest unequaled in any other capitalist society.

Carl