[lbo-talk] Re: stupid americans?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Sep 27 11:18:22 PDT 2004

Carl Remick wrote:

>Spoken like a true American, Doug :) Your
>answer explains why the US is such a cripplingly
>conformist society. Criticize others and you’re
>putting on airs, saying you're different, you're
>better. The national motto: "Who the hell do
>you think you are, buddy?"

Well, no. I've written hundreds of thousands of words and done hundreds of hours of radio that are evidence that I'm not conforming to the dominant paradigm. But, as others have just argued here, the point should be to identify the forces that make people think and act the way they do - never overlooking that there are plenty of creative and subversive people in the USA.

Doug