[lbo-talk] sick perversions

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 28 10:36:23 PDT 2004

> > I'm not trying to prove the correct theory of Yanomamo life. I was just
>> trying to mention an example that refutes Lance's heterosexism and
>> biological determinism. Not even Chagnon's critics would argue that rape
>> and brutality play some serious part in Yanomamo life, which remains based
>> in part on hunting-and-gathering. As Harris and others argue, it is the
>> issue of overhunting that provides the most convincing explanation for the
>> brutality.
>>
>> Nature is no lawbook for humans.
>
>Going native and the noble savage delusion are well known
>occupational diseases of anthropologists, for which there is no
>known cure - the affected individuals remain blind to all facts
>contradicting their delusions.
>
>Wojtek

Our contemporary controversies about anthropology are not so much whether anthropologists regard their objects of study as noble or ignoble "savages" as whether or not anthropologists adequately take into account their own impacts (as well as their own societies' impacts) upon their objects of study, especially in the context where anthropologists' own societies have power over their objects'.

Yoshie