[lbo-talk] Maximise or satisfice? (was:stupid americans?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Sep 28 12:47:28 PDT 2004

Miles:
> This "dumbing down" rhetoric fascinates me, because it is so obviously
> incongruent with social reality. A few relevant points:
>
> 1. People in the U. S. today receive more formal education than at any
> time in U. S. history.
>
> 2. The raw score performance on IQ tests is substantially higher
> with every passing generation (the Flynn Effect).
>
> 3. A greater and greater proportion of the jobs in the U. S.
> require specialized training and professional credentials (think
> long term, proportion of professional workers in 1800 versus
> today).

All these three point assume that formal education is about critical thinking and problem solving rather than by obtaining proper credentials. I would say that most, perhaps as much as 3 quarters, of college level students are there for credentials and do not give two shits about the intellectual contents - if any - of the instruction. I would also say that about two thirds of the contents of instruction is about entertaining students and keeping them interested.

When I was at Rutgers, most TAs in math and science were Asians who could barely speak English. Undergrads complained bitterly, but there was not much they could do about it, since there was an acute shortage of native English speaking TAs who were sufficiently competent in the subject matter.

It is much worse in most high schools - where athletics is king and showing any interest in the intellectual contents of instruction can turn one into a dork which is far worse than being fat, lazy and dumb.

So yes, most US-ers receive much more formal education than any time in the past - but most of it is mere going through the motions to obtain proper credentials.

As far as IQ tests are concerned - I am really surprised that anyone on this list even mentions them. They are a bunch of crap - not worth the paper they are printed on. The only thing they test is IQ testing ability, which correlates well with parental income and nothing else. IQ testing is a prime example of what sociologists call 'sentiments of rationality" - irrational behavior that takes appearance of rationality by going through rational-looking motions.

> 4. As I said before, workers keep things together in our complex
> society. If workers were as doltish as Woj argues, how could
> we solve everyday problems? Woj's TV-zombie workers would
> be stymied. In fact, resourceful and intelligent workers
> solve practical problems every day in many settings (computer
> networks, classrooms, hospital clinics, courtrooms).

I did not say that - RTFT! I said that the entire society is equally affected. I understand that speaking badly about the "common man" is un-American - but to be honest I am quite fed up with populist delusions held in spite plain evidence to the contrary.

> I really don't get Woj's need to trash-talk the general
> population. We're amazing in terms of what we accomplish
> everyday, and we should take credit for it.

USA! USA! USA!

Wojtek