[lbo-talk] Maximise or satisfice? (was:stupid americans?

ThatRogersWoman debburz at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 13:46:46 PDT 2004

--- Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Americans are exposed to education the way they're exposed to
> cosmic rays,
> and the rays have a much bigger impact on them. This vast but
> vapid aura of
> educational attainment reflects sheer credentialism -- simply
> another way
> that Americans try to con the rest of the world into thinking that
> we know
> what we're doing.

"Houston high schools, touted as the model for the national "Leave No Child Behind" legislation, suffered a blow last week when it was revealed that nearly two-thirds of 2004's graduating high school seniors now enrolled in Houston-area community colleges are taking remedial classes because they weren't prepared for college."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2815219

- D

=====

" How come people always flip and think they're Jesus? Why not Buddha? Particularly in America, where more people resemble Buddha than Jesus. 'Ah'm BUDDHA!' 'You're Bubba!' 'Ah'm Buddha now..All I gotta do is change 3 letters on ma belt...' " - Bill Hicks