[lbo-talk] Maximise or satisfice? (was:stupid americans?

ThatRogersWoman debburz at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 14:25:14 PDT 2004

> How come Americans get all those patents and Nobels?

The question I'd ask is, will Americans be getting all those patents and Nobels in the near and far future?

This observation about the emphasis of credentialing over substantive learning has some merit. In the rush to "leave no child behind," Texas, for example, has instituted a series of tests that students must pass in order to graduate. The intention is well-meaning; we'd like to see our graduates demonstrate proficiency and proof that they've learned something and cut social promotions. The reality, however, is that teachers, under pressure to meet pass quotas, are literally teaching the test. Pass rates on the mandated tests are still problematic, social promotions still occur (you can retake the state exams 3 or 4 times and then still appeal for social promotion!) and students are coming out with mostly rote regurgitation and limited abstract reasoning. Without developing those abstract reasoning skills, the students are hard pressed to apply the knowledge they memorized for the tests, resulting in educational stagnation. I've graded enough freshman comp tests as a contract instructor to testify to that!

Regarding your question, though, re how Americans won those patents and Nobels in the past, maybe we should look at whether or not education was geared towards application of what was learned vs. learning just enough to pass tests. Other factors should be considered, such as the rise of passive entertainment, socio-economic conditions and all, but no one item by itself is to blame. Taken collectively, however, a different scenario emerges.

When I was still teaching at U of Houston in the 90's, faculty involved in pedagological studies cited stats that indicated that the age at which children utilized abstracting thinking skills was increasing. The stat - and this is just second hand hearsay, a recollection, at best - compared Baby Boomer generations beginning abstract thinking at 3-5 years of age, with Gen Xer's beginning, on average, at ages 8-10. It was one of those startling stats that sticks in one's head, and one that I'd like to know more about, including whether or not it had any validity and how it was determined. If anyone is aware of a similar study, pass it this way.

I'd love to follow up on it.

- Deborah R.

=====

" How come people always flip and think they're Jesus? Why not Buddha? Particularly in America, where more people resemble Buddha than Jesus. 'Ah'm BUDDHA!' 'You're Bubba!' 'Ah'm Buddha now..All I gotta do is change 3 letters on ma belt...' " - Bill Hicks