[lbo-talk] Maximise or satisfice?

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Tue Sep 28 14:46:19 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Of course they don't perfectly reflect technical output. Companies
> game the system all the time - but not just American ones. Still,
> there's little doubt that U.S. science and technology are extremely
> sophisticated. We also make some very fine cultural products, popular
> and high - and much of the rest of the world agrees. People come from
> around the world to our universities. We're not a bunch of
> knuckle-dragging dolts, fer chrissake. A lot of this is misanthropy
> disguised as politics.

i do not disagree with your larger point (except perhaps to wonder if we, the majority of the entire world population, are indeed a bunch of knuckle-dragging dolts) . your choice of "no., of patents" as a measure, is however [to me] still dubious. if other nations *also* "game" the system, that doesn't make our patent system or volume any better a measure.

--ravi