[lbo-talk] Maximise or satisfice? (was:stupid americans?

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Tue Sep 28 16:14:22 PDT 2004

>>Carl Remick wrote:
>>
>>>Americans are exposed to education the way they're exposed to cosmic
>>>rays, and the rays have a much bigger impact on them. This vast but
>>>vapid aura of educational attainment reflects sheer credentialism --
>>>simply another way that Americans try to con the rest of the world into
>>>thinking that we know what we're doing.
>>
>>How come Americans get all those patents and Nobels?
>>
>>Doug
>
>How many are American born? Sounds like asking why the bank gets all the
>money! Or America gets all those great athletes from around the world.
>
>Seriously, if I see one more quantitative argument about the superiority
>of the US I am going to hit the data bases and get the goods.
>
>Travis

Please do "get the goods". You are changing the argument a bit however. No one was saying Americans are superior, just saying they're not inferior. Humans are humans the world over. I doubt one group gets to lay claim to being more stupid than the others. But I'm an American so maybe I'm too stupid to know otherwise.

John Thornton